Enjoying the great outdoors and enjoying gourmet cuisine are not mutually exclusive. Don’t spoil your appetite with hot dogs and canned beans just because you’re camping. Instead, make the most of your meal time with foods that are nutritious, simple, and delicious. If you don’t think it’s possible, give these stuffed peppers a try on your next outdoor adventure and enjoy the taste of proving yourself wrong!
What You’ll Need
- Dutch Oven
- 6 Bell Peppers
- Olive Oil
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 2 Minced Garlic Cloves
- 4 C. Cooked Rice
- 10 oz. Chopped Mushroom
- 14 oz. Ground Meat
- 8 oz. Tomato Sauce
- 3/4 C. Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
How To Prepare
- Prep your campfire so that you have a nice bed of hot coals when it comes time to cook the peppers.
- Grease your Dutch oven using the olive oil.
- With your knife, cut off the tops of the peppers and set them aside to use in the stuffing later. Take the larger portion of the pepper and clean the inside so they are all free of seeds.
- Using your skillet, sauté your chopped onion in olive oil. While it is cooking, chop up the extra pepper from the pepper tops that you reserved from earlier.
- When the onion is translucent, add the garlic, mushrooms, and chopped pepper.
- When all of your vegetables are softened in your skillet, stir in the meat and cook for a couple additional minutes before adding the rice and the tomato sauce.
- Spoon the mixture into the openings of the peppers to stuff them.
- Arrange your peppers inside the Dutch oven and sprinkle them with cheese.
How To Cook
- When you have a hot bed of coals from the fire you prepared earlier, you are ready to get the peppers cooking!
- Keeping the Dutch oven level, place it on the hot coals. Shift the coals around so that the dutch oven is stable and balanced.
- Let your peppers cook, checking on them periodically.
- Once the peppers are softened and the stuffing inside is heated all the way through, remove your Dutch oven from the coals.
- Give your stuffed peppers some time to cool before digging in!
For more delicious foods to make during your next outdoor adventure, try cooking up some campfire stew or making tasty skillet fried tacos. And for dessert, check out these amazing no-bake cookies! With so many out-of-the-norm recipes to take your camp meals to the next level, don’t let your taste buds suffer just because you’re enjoying the great outdoors!