If you’re looking for the ultimate meaty recipe, look no further than the mouthwatering bacon bombs! These incredible bbq meatballs are stuffed inside onions and wrapped in bacon and will have you asking for third helpings! They’re easy to put together and can be made right on your campfire, making it the perfect camping meal! Here’s how!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 Lb. ground beef
- 2 Large white or yellow onions
- 1 Package of bacon
- 1/4 Cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 Cup diced onion
- 1/4 Cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 Cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 Tsp. Soy sauce
- 1 Tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup bbq sauce of choice
- Aluminum foil
1. Cut the top and bottom off your onion and remove the tough outer layer. Cut the onion in half and carefully separate the layers. Set aside the larger layers and dice the core layers.
2. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, mushrooms, ketchup, diced onion, parsley, soy and Worcestershire sauces, brown sugar, and panko crumbs.
3. Form a small portion of your meat mixture into a ball inside two onion halves, adding or subtracting more to make the ball fit nicely within the onion. Use the onion halves until the meat mixture is gone.
4. Wrap each bomb with bacon; each one should use about three pieces.
5. Double wrap each bomb in aluminum foil, as two layers will help to prevent scorching.
6. Once you have good cooking coals in your campfire, place your bombs in the coals* and cook for 15 minutes. Flip, then cook an additional 15 minutes. Cooking times will vary based on the bomb size and your coals, so be sure to check that your bombs are thoroughly cooked before moving on to the next step.
7. Within the last few minutes of cook time, carefully open up the bombs and brush with bbq sauce. Re-wrap the bombs and place back into the coals for the remaining time.
8. Remove bombs from the coals when they are finished cooking. Allow a few minutes for them to cool down, then unwrap and enjoy!
*If you’d like to cook these bombs in an oven, cook at 350 degrees for the same time, making sure to check that they are thoroughly cooked.
These amazing bacon-wrapped bbq meatball onion bombs are sure to be a huge hit! A word of caution: you’ll want to make at least a double batch because they are just that good! Pair these perfectly with stuffed peppers or campfire chili cheese fries for the ultimate tasty camping meal! And don’t forget dessert! Try this recipe for no-bake cookies or have some fun and make ice cream in a bag!